March 21, 2014

I had come to this gathering with great hope
I had played these games, met these faces
But now a weariness has begun to set in
And I want to return home, far far away.

The burden of expectation wears me down
The constant shattering of hopes pains me.
My old flaws burn like fresh, deep wounds
And a hundred new ones made every day.

I remember those good ol' days of the past,
When the silence of loneliness haunted me.
When this bustling city was a serene village.
When my universe was just my family.

In these moments of distress, I want to run
Back to those days and hide myself there.
Under the soft bedsheet of my childhood
Away from these people, this crowd.

I feel myself sinking into this cesspool,
Unable to raise my feet to walk ahead.
I want to stop resisting this drowning,
Burn out, and stop this numbing pain.

But then, I know I lack the bravado
Of ceasing this heartache once and for all.
I must move ahead, for stillness will kill.
Soldier on, ride these petulant waves.

Not because I want to move on in life,
Not because I see hope, a brighter future.
But because I have no choice, no alternative
Than to pretend as if nothing has happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment